Mountain State Justice is a non-profit legal services organization committed to redressing systemic, social, political, and economic imbalances of power for marginalized West Virginians, through legal advocacy and community empowerment.
Mountain State Justice is hiring a Community Engagement Coordinator (CEC) to engage in collaborative and creative strategies to further MSJ’s mission. The CEC will manage and operationalize a statewide community engagement program at MSJ to (1) link low-income or marginalized individuals receiving legal services to wrap around services, resources, and support; (2) engage in community organizing and mobilization, working from and expanding the list of individuals receiving services from Mountain State Justice, to educate West Virginians about the actions that their elected officials are taking and engage them in the legislative process; and (3) engage in community organizing to support MSJ litigation. The CEC will supervise social work students in furtherance of this work.
The CEC will work collaboratively with grassroots & grass tops stakeholders, including collaboration with a paid lobbyist(s) during legislative session, collaboration with plaintiffs’ firms to engage and support the clients of those firms as well, and engagement with other local, regional, and statewide groups in West Virginia to ensure amplification of existing campaigns to address imbalances of power in West Virginia.
- Commitment to MSJ’s mission and values.
- Ability to connect with people from all backgrounds and to work as a member of a team.
- Ability to understand and engage with policy issues.
- Leadership skills, initiative, and creativity.
- Experience in needs assessment, case management, and resource brokering.
- MSW degree with two years of experience strongly preferred.
- Personal experience with systemic oppression is a plus. BIPOC; LGBTQIA+; people who have experienced the immigration system, criminal legal system, or poverty; and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The successful candidate may be located at either our Charleston or Morgantown, WV, offices, but must have a willingness to travel to communities throughout West Virginia to meet with stakeholders.
Salary range: $35,000-$55,000 annual salary, based on qualifications & experience, plus generous benefits package.
To apply, submit a resume, cover letter, and three references to rachel(at)msjlaw.org with the subject line “CEC Application.”