Who We Are
Mountain State Justice is a nationally recognized, non-profit law office with offices in Charleston, and Morgantown, West Virginia. MSJ is dedicated to redressing entrenched and emerging systemic social, political, and economic imbalances of power for marginalized West Virginians, through legal advocacy and community empowerment. Essential to our mission is an inclusive work environment that encourages, supports, and rewards the collaborative and creative pursuit of professional excellence. The MSJ team is committed to shared values of impact; excellence; empowerment; compassion; integrity; maximizing available resources; and addressing unmet needs.
At MSJ you will work with creative and aggressive advocates who care deeply about our work and our clients. MSJ values candidates who bring diverse experiences to the workplace, including economic, racial, ethnic, and gender backgrounds, and legal system contact.
MSJ is seeking a full-time social worker to join our Access and Advocacy team. The Access and Advocacy Program works to ensure that MSJ’s clients are empowered to ensure that their needs are met through local, state, and federal policy and law, as well as access to necessary wrap around services. The social worker will link low-income or marginalized individuals receiving legal services to wrap around services, resources, and support to assist them in achieving long-term stability and safety. The position will assist West Virginians statewide and will supervise a rotating team of social work interns, and will require some travel throughout West Virginia to meet with clients and stakeholders. The position reports to MSJ’s Access and Advocacy Program Director, who focuses primarily on community organizing and advocacy, and will collaborate with the Access & Advocacy Program on addressing policy goals, while focusing on providing direct services to clients.
The position may be located in either our Charleston or Morgantown office, at the successful candidate’s preference.
Who You Are
The following is an aspirational view of an ideal candidate; we encourage applications from candidates with a wide range of experiences and backgrounds, especially those from historically marginalized groups. While no candidate will bring every qualification desired, the below are representative of the knowledge and skills that MSJ seeks for this hire:
- A Masters of Social Work degree, ideally with two years of post-graduate experience
- Experience in needs assessment, case management, and resource brokering.
- Lived experience with racism, poverty, and/or other structural oppression or inequity; BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, people who have experienced the immigration system, criminal legal system, or poverty; and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Ability to take initiative and to be self-directed
- Energetic and ability to thrive in a fast-past environment
- Demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice
- Experience working with marginalized people
- Strategic and creative thinking
- Interest in collaboration
- Excellent communication skills
- Organizational skills
- Ability to connect with people from all backgrounds and to work as a member of a team.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. Salaries range from $45,000 for an MSW with little to no prior experience to around $65,000 for around ten years’ experience as an MSW. Excellent benefits package, including generous health insurance package, vision, dental, and life insurance, flexible spending account and/or health savings account, paid annual and sick leave and holidays, parental leave, sabbatical leave, and retirement contribution.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Social Worker.”
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, but preference will be given to applicants who apply on or before March 25, 2022.